Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Stone of Remembrance - Faith

This very day is a milestone for me.  Let me take you back to February 6, 1998.  For as long as I can remember, God has been a part of my life. I grew up going to church, hearing the Bible stories in Sunday School, memorizing the verses, praying at meals and bed time. I always wanted it to be more than mere ritual. It would be this very day that would serve as a pivotal turning point in my life.  As I considered what to write in this post, I thought back to the Old Testament.  God's chosen people had just crossed the Jordan River into the Promised Land  (Check out Joshua 4 when you get a chance.). I love this explanation of the concept, taken from Our Daily Bread:


"The Israelites of Joshua’s day placed “stones of remembrance” by the Jordan River. They were to remind their children of the remarkable providence of God as He guided His chosen people into the land of promise.
Like those stones, the statements I penned in my Bible long ago keep calling me back to important truths. They recall my own journey from childhood to the present as God has directed me through His Word to know His will.
What reminders from the past protect your heart, guide your steps, and occupy your mind? Thank God today for the great truths of the Bible that keep calling you closer to Him. Consider them your stones of remembrance."

My "stone of remembrance" for today is the moment I realized that I wanted to completely surrender my will to God.  I wanted my faith to become my own.  I remember sitting there in the gym that afternoon.  I was a sophomore in high school, just shy of my 16th birthday, my whole future stretching out before me like a new canvas waiting for each precious brush stroke of color and form.  The possibilities seemed endless. God had started getting my attention the year before, when I read Max Lucado's When God Whispers Your Name. Check out this link to part of chapter 11 here:
I love the concept of choice. I have a choice about what kind of a day I will have.  Will I choose faith and freedom, or will I fall into fear and worry?  Do you ever sense that you were made for more than this life?  That you have a purpose in your days greater than you could ever imagine?  I have felt that way, longed for it most of my life.  I remember reading that book, wanting so much to live out those truths, even in the simple every day moments of life.
There, in that gym, at the youth rally, 15 years ago today, I heard God whispering my name. I could hear my heart pounding in my ears that afternoon.  Two guys had come to talk to our group of teens about renewing our first love.  Check out this link to one of my favorite songs by a group called Avalon.
They talked about how they had known about God their whole lives, but had never fully surrendered to His will.  They wondered if any of us felt the same way.  I looked around nervously that day.  I wondered what my peers would think of me.  They already knew I loved God, right?  What did that mean? How was I living that out?  Was I willing to fully surrender my will?  To allow Him to pick me up when I fall, to stop trying to plow through life in my own strength? I am so thankful that I was.  I raised my hand that day, prayed for God to remind me of the truths of His word and His will, committed to following after Him wholeheartedly, one step at a time.  I walked down to the front that day, spoke into the microphone, that I was renewing my faith in God and willing for Him to work in my life.  No halo appeared around my head that day.  No magical potion or chant was recited.  I do know that a life, mine, was changed, a path was turned toward the Light.  

Stones of Remembrance...always adding!

In honor of this milestone, I pick up this stone of remembrance, this faith that I cling to more than the air I breathe.  I offer it up gratefully. Thank You, Father, for rescuing me, for bringing me to this place!  I never dreamed that when You called me down to that gym floor this day so long ago, that you would have such great plans for my life.  That I would move all the way across the country to raise a family and a new legacy of truth for my little ones.  Thank you for my husband, who walks alongside me, takes my hand, and journeys with me even through the tough days when I stumble and fall.  I came across some truths several years back that I like to read. They help me start my days sometimes, when the weight of the world presses heavy.  I am going to share 15 of them with you today:

1. Just for today I will take time to remember that I have blessings untold.
2. Just for today I will try to lend a helping hand to someone who is broken.
3. Just for today I will let my spirit heal.
4. Just for today I will embrace time as if there is no tomorrow.
5. Just for today I will let my mind believe the impossible. 
6. Just for today I will not lean on my own understanding but rely on God's Wisdom.
7. Just for today I will remember that I have everything I need and many things I want.
8. Just for today I will forgive and forget so that I can be forgiven.
9. Just for today I will not complain about my trials. They are for growing and learning.
10. Just for today I will tell someone I love them.
11. Just for today I will not be discouraged.
12. Just for today I will try to give my mind more strength and knowledge.
13. Just for today I will try to accept where I am, and not try to adjust everything to what I want.
14. Just for today I will not let myself become overwhelmed.
15. Just for today I will accept what life brings, though I may not understand, because I know that God has a plan.

I want to close with one more song link.  I listened to the group Avalon a lot in high school.  There was one song in particular about dreams.  I have always wanted to open my hands and allow God's dreams to become my own, not clutching too tightly to my own.  This song expresses that truth beautifully!  Keep adding to your stones of remembrance! I would love to read some of yours if you want to leave them in the comments! Our dreams are safe with Him! No matter who you are or where you have been in life....He's whispering your name, too! <3



3 comments:

  1. I love your heart Rebecca! I remember youth group in high school and how I wanted to know God, not just because I went to church but by name. I didn't really fully understand and accept that until college. Its also something I am still struggling to know right now, what his plans are because truthfully I'm tired of trying to rely on myself. I have always loved working with children, babies and besides my love, Chris, nothing else brings a smile to my face when I'm having a rough day like a babies laugh. I'm having a hard time finding a job but more than that, I want to do what makes God smile. You have always been such an encouragement to me, ever since we met at grace back in high school. I love seeing your precious babies, they make me smile:)
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie! I have such good memories of those days, too! I will be praying for God to guide your decisions one step at a time. Have you heard of Jesus Calling by Sarah Young? I have been reading these short devotions each morning and they really help me focus. <3 Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. How cool! What an exciting thing to celebrate! Thank you for sharing. <3
    I love when you ask "Will I choose faith and freedom, or will I fall into fear and worry?" That is definitely a question I should be asking myself every day!

    ReplyDelete