Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Choosing JOY...A Mom Like You


Hello friends!

There's been a lot of talk lately about laundry piles, and I remembered this poem I wrote back when Hailey Joy was a baby. I had 2 young girls at the time and postpartum knocked me down. Your body, mind, and spirit take a toll going through pregnancy, labor, delivery, and then caring for your young children, and it's okay to need time to heal. I brought this poem back out because I thought maybe another mom needs to read this. To encourage you, mamas. Deep breaths, reach out, and up. You matter. You are valued. You are loved. The well of JOY runs deep. You have to dip deeper to find your gifts in the darkness, but I promise you it is SO worth the effort. There is HOPE!

 Hannah at age 2 and Hailey at around 6 months 

Pumpkin Picking Time, Fall 2010 around the time I wrote the following poem:


A Mom Like You

From one very active toddler
Hugs and kisses, mommy's girl
To a newborn, oh so tiny
Welcome to my crazy world.

Should I put on my smile
To show I'm okay?
Go through the motions
In the busy, hectic days?

There's crayon marks
On my kitchen floor
Sticky fingerprints to be
Wiped off the doors.

Piles of laundry on the sofa
Dirty dishes in the sink
Put a smile on in the pictures
Show them what they want, I think...

Or...Maybe I'm a mom like you
Who wants the best for my kids, too
A comforting smile to see me thru
the tough times 'till the sun shines through

 Now back to work
I'm barely hanging on
I gasp for breath
And find it nearly gone.

Reaching up my hands
 I find my God there
 I ask Him to hear and
Answer my tear-filled prayers.

Because maybe I'm a mom like you
Who wants the best for her kids, too.
A comforting smile to see me thru
The tough times 'till the sun shines through.

There's a new kind of normal
In my life these days
 Filled with sorrow and sweetness
 Each one coming in waves.

Being careful to savor
Each moment in time
With these little loves
Now entrusted to mine.

I do believe I am a mom like you;
Learning to hold on, AND letting go, too...


 Sincerely, Rebecca



Fall 2010


My life now: 4 kiddos ranging from ages 11-3. My sweeties, my hope for the future. Carry on, mamas! There is wonderful hope in this perfectly imperfect life!





No comments:

Post a Comment