Saturday, January 12, 2013

Freedom

I have a lot to say about my second graders.  I call myself their school mom sometimes (and at times they slip and call me mom!).   Last year I called my class my little ducklings.  They loved it! Each year is different and even the tougher classes end up being precious to me. This year, since I was gone on maternity leave for a little while, I worried that I would have a more difficult time bonding with my class.  Instead, the opposite has happened.  With each challenge and triumph, we seem to grow closer together as a classroom community.

I love teaching about Martin Luther King, Jr. Every year I get out my January file and run my hand along the cover of the book Martin's Big Words. I consider the price he paid for the freedom we have today.



 I always pray that I will clearly communicate his message of peace, love, and unity.  I look into those impressionable little 7 and 8 year old faces before me, so innocent and eager to learn, and I hope that they will understand.  I read, I pause, and I watch their faces as they process the information I am sharing with them.  They raise their hands and one student each year says, "If it weren't for what he did, we wouldn't all be able to be in a class together."  I watch as they look around at each other and we nod. Another teacher at my school mentioned that a student of hers told the class that her parents would not have been able to get married.  Powerful thoughts for their minds to process.   I love how they embrace this truth.  They are so quiet as they learn about this great man and what he did for our country.  As I got to the part of the book where Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot and killed, I looked up to see shock and horror play across those sweet faces. I pause.  A tear trickles down the face of one of my sweet Samoan boys.  I silently thank God for their tender hearts.  I remind the class of the freedom we have in our country for a woman like Rosa Parks to stand up for her right to sit on that city bus and for those who joined together with her to fight for their rights using words and actions, not their fists.  



I point to the American flag in our classroom as a reminder of freedom. A boy that often struggles to remember to raise his hand, in the magic of this moment does so and asks me, "Since Martin Luther King stood up for what he believed in, can we honor him by saying the pledge of allegiance now?"  All 22 young eyes turn expectantly toward me, awaiting my response.  I can feel the goosebumps along my arms, sensing that in this moment, we are bonding.  I hold back the tears, and agree. I call the student to the front of the room who leads the flag salute this week.  We wait for all students to stand.  Not one lingers at his or her desk.  All proudly stand, and what was once a rote ritual becomes a chorus of voices with deep meaning and purpose.  A young voice says "Ready, begin!" and in a voice that sounds together as one, all 22 students and their teacher place right hands over hearts and recite:






"You may be seated."  You could hear our voices echo down the hallway and into the courtyard.  A class of students joined together in a bond of unity, freedom, and peace.  With liberty and justice for ALL.

I smile as I consider how proud Martin Luther King, Jr. would have been to hear his words echo through the halls of classrooms and cities, homes and harbors everywhere: "I have a dream!!!"

As we consider our dreams in this new year, I am pausing to remember the ones who have paved the way before us.  May we honor Martin Luther King, Jr. as well as others with a simple, childlike remembrance.  

**PS) I discovered today how to let anyone comment on my blog.  I love to read your thoughts, and now you don't have to be a blog writer to make a comment.  Thanks for sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment