Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Mission

Do you have a mission? I started thinking about a personal mission statement in college, when a professor challenged us to write a statement.  I continue to go back to that journal I wrote in 10 years ago. I started it in May 2003. 

Beautiful, spiral-bound journal
 Little did I realize that 10 years later, I would look back on the words within these pages and remember the hope, the wide-eyed innocence of my early days, the longing for a future filled with purpose.  The friendships that I would be privileged to keep and continue over the years...all so precious!

The first page...wanting to remember!
 My personal mission statement:

I, Rebecca Joy, have been formed by my Creator God, and fashioned before the beginning of time to live a life worthy of my calling. I have been placed on this earth to glorify the name of the Lord, to listen to and faithfully obey His still, small voice, and to love and minister to the people He places in my path."

My mission statement and goals
Combining the old with the new, my long ago journal with a new bookmark a friend recently brought back to me from Hawaii...I re-read the words in this journal. I feel so very thankful that I recorded memories from when Matthew and I first fell in love and sought God to begin our journey...

I think I am going to write out my mission statement and carry it with me.  Everyone has a mission.  Let's live as God intended us to be, not wishing to live another's journey, but JUST as we are.  I am often tempted to compare what I feel are my weaknesses to what I view as their strengths.  What if we choose to embrace each other as we are, celebrating the strengths and praying for perseverance to overcome the weaknesses.  <3

1 comment:

  1. Your last paragraph reminded me of a quote I think I have shared with you before: “Don’t compare someone else’s highlight reel to your behind-the-scenes bloopers.” I do that too often.
    I love your mission statement, and I love your last sentence, "What if we choose to embrace each other as we are, celebrating the strengths and praying for perseverance to overcome the weaknesses." I am praying for you! <3

    ReplyDelete