Monday, December 31, 2012

Perseverance


Think perseverance in 2013!

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." ~James 1:2-3~


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,"  ~Hebrews 12:1~

Loving words the way I do, each year, instead of a New Year's resolution, I feel as though God gives me a word or a string of thoughts to live out that year.  I have had words like belief, hope, and last year, living in the light.  I wasn't even thinking about a new word for this new year. I have honestly been kind of down lately.  If you ask my family, if they're honest they'll tell you that I've been moping around at home, feeling sorry for myself that I am not "who I want to be".  Now, who's choice is that?  Mine.  I discovered after my latest pity party, the "Oh my goodness, I have 3 children, I feel so disorganized, and I have no time for myself." blues, that joy is a choice, not a feeling.


I saw this photo the other day and I felt so inspired to change, not from without, but within. To be willing to allow the Lord to change me. All of the ways I've tried to do it on my own, in my own strength, have only left me feeling exhausted and discouraged.

One of the reasons looking back at that calendar was so important to me is that I saw the specific moments, those beautiful memories captured in time that take me back and remind me of who and what I value.  

I looked up perseverance, and this is what I found:

per·se·ver·ance


  1. Steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
  2. Continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.
Another definition and synonyms I found include:

Definition: diligence, hard work

Synonyms: backbone, constancy, continuance, dedication, determination, drive, endurance, persistence, purposefulness, resolution

Antonyms: apathy, idleness, laziness

I am struck by the antonyms, the opposite of the word, and I long to listen to the Lord and discover what He has for me in my moments, to “Cease striving and know that I am God;" Psalm 46:10a.  This can also be translated as "be still" or "let go; relax". I have heard those words repeatedly over the last several weeks, as I have gone about my days, trying to do things in my own strength and courage, while the Lord has been whispering to me, "Cease striving". I looked this word up as well, and I found:



Striving  present participle of strive (Verb)


1.       Make great efforts to achieve or obtain something.
2.       Struggle or fight vigorously


The truth is, I have been striving in my own strength, when the peace I so desire comes from running with perseverance the race marked out for me, for He who has called me is faithful.  I hope to learn more and more on this topic throughout this year.  Thanks for being a part of my journey,

Joyfully,
Rebecca


Happy New Year!!!
"Help them to take failure, not as a measure of their worth, but as a chance for a new start." 
~ Book of Common Prayer ~






6 comments:

  1. Yay! I love your posts! I am so glad that you are writing. So encouraging. :) I am glad that things are changing in the new year. I am looking forward to it.
    I love that word, perseverance. I so often just fall into a place of comfort and find myself moving backwards, back into that negative mindset without even knowing it. I won't let that happen with the new year, I need to remember to continually turn to God in all I do.
    Psalm 46:10 is a great verse, it reminds me of the part of that book that I sent you, about the "waiting place."
    Thank you for this! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love Psalm 46:10 too! I want to re-read parts of the "Waiting Place" you shared with me!

      Delete
    2. I had it printed out for you but then I stole it to highlight what I wanted to share on my blog, so I need to print it again for you. :)

      Delete
    3. I'll look forward to getting that! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. So dear friend the word (lifestyle, heart change) I need to focus on this year is joy. In the midst of all our hard times I need to figure out if I can walk in His strength and joy. So, I look forward to learning from and walking "beside" you this year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you wrote lifestyle and heart change. That is where I want to be. Not just a nice word to aspire toward, then look back and wonder why it did not change me. I walk beside you as well. I am so blessed to be your friend! In His strength, Rebecca

      Delete