Sunday, March 3, 2013

Five minute Friday: Ordinary

Okay....I know it is not Friday. It is Sunday afternoon. consider this my first attempt, my dry run if you will at this concept of "Five minute Friday". I have been following Lisa Jo Baker's blog this past year. Check it out when you have a chance!  You will be blessed!  Lisa Jo Baker - The Gypsy Mama  I had started feeling like my ordinary moments were just that...plain old ordinary living. I love connecting with my far away friends through words and photos.  I love finding real and authentic people willing to step out on a limb and share the truth of who they really are...flaws and all.  This author admits to having cheerios on her floor, to losing her cool with her kids at times, and for loving her life and Lord with a passion that is so very inspiring.  Some of my friends from college have linked up with Lisa Jo's 5 minute Friday blog. I have been wanting to give it a try. They are also busy mamas and are my source of inspiration for trying this out. There are a few rules. I decided to try it this afternoon. I set a timer for 5 minutes and just wrote. Here's what came from my 5 minutes "on the clock". Enjoy! :)

Start:

Is it so ordinary...this life of mine?

I strive for so many things.  I want to be a good wife, mommy, teacher, and friend.

Is it so ordinary, that I traveled across the country to marry the love of my life 8 years ago?

That I would leave home and family of origin to start a life of my own?

Ordinary life becomes extraordinary when held out as a blessing. An offering.  A miracle in the making.

A life so bold and beautiful may feel ordinary in the mundane activities of the day, but when the layers are peeled back, it is the ordinary moments that transform a lifetime into something great.

Many ordinary moments all strung together form a beautiful necklace of faith, hope, and purpose.  I think about the "ordinary" beads of life I am stringing right now.  That race against time in the mornings to get myself up, dressed, baby fed, girls up, dressed, fed, and out the door with all the right materials to be successful in their day at Grandma's house.  The way I care for my second graders in more ways than just their academic needs.  Someone needs a shoe tied, a listening ear.  Their grandmother has passed away.  They miss their mom.  I teach life lessons as well as book learning.  These are my ordinary moments.  I love them.  I am starting to see them as blessings and not dread the future with worry.  The next ordinary moments will be strung on my life's necklace too.  I wonder how many more miracles are in store for me in the disguise of ordinary living.......

Stop.  

Five Minute Friday: Ordinary

8 comments:

  1. Lovely thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I like the imagery of "The next ordinary moments will be strung on my life's necklace too." What a precious perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! I am so glad I joined in this week! That imagery came to me as a gift as I was writing in those 5 minutes. It's interesting how you can have all these thoughts swirling around in your mind ahead of time, and then God guides your steps in another direction! Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you joined in. I meant to this week and just didn't feel like I could write on this word, but you did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! I have always been hesitant to try it because I wasn't sure I could sit down and just write without worrying or over-thinking. It was kind of fun and I am meeting some other writers as a result! :)

      Delete
  3. I followed you and I am happy I did! Your words have so much truth in them for all of us moms. Those small moments belong to us, are dear to our hearts and will be 'worn' by us long after we have left for the Heavens. Ordinary isn't as bad as it sounds. It means everyone is content, happy even and the complaint desk is closed. Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Marisa! I treasure your encouragement and will hold it close to me this week! Blessings to you as well! <3

      Delete
  4. I love it!!! You are such a beautiful writer:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, D! It was fun to see how some of the thoughts took shape during those 5 minutes, and not before. I will try this again for sure! I enjoy meeting new women and linking up with what they are writing!

      Delete